Monday, February 18, 2013

Hot Water Heater Repair (electric)

Here is a Hot Water Heater I repaired today. The problem was that the water was hot at first then quickly got cold.

Here's what I found...
The first thing was that the thermostat here had failed. It no longer "clicked" when you turned it all the way up and all the way down. I found that it had failed in the "on" position and it also caused the Heating Element to burn out.

There was two elements, one worked and one didn't...that's why the water was hot at first, then quickly got cold.

Removing the thermostat is simple, make sure the power is off, double check then re-check that the power is off!!! Unscrew the wires and pull the tabs up (shown with arrows) and slip it out...
The heating element is shown here.

But first....you must drain your tank....
Today I had a more difficult problem because the drain had frozen, so instead of doing it the easy way with a water hose, I actually had to remove the element and let the water fly!! It took 11, 5 gallon buckets almost full of water to remove it all....Got quite messy...

Remember to make sure you turn off the cold water supply to the hot water heater. Releasing the pop-off valve at the top of the water heater can allow an air-break allowing the water to drain faster as well.

Again, making sure the power is off, remove the wires. Then as you can see a couple of pictures above here.... there is a large nut that is actually built onto the element. Turn ONLY the silver nut part, do NOT use the plastic casing around the wires to turn the element.
This is the new heating element going back into the hot water heater...Make sure you match the exact wattage element...

Remember to re-fill the heater before you turn it on!!

I leave the pop-off valve open and turn the water back on, then wait 5 or so minutes until it gets full and quickly shut it off when I hear water going through it.

Make sure all your shields are back in place, turn the breaker back on, (hopefully there are no sparks...haha) and listen for the water to start to boil!!

"Happy Hot Shower!"


15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information, I thought about doing my heater repair myself, but I think I'm going to hire some professional heating contractors to come in and do it. I've heard stories about causing a gas leak due to a failed repair and I dont want to risk that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this! This is really informational and helpful to all plumbers out there. Sometimes we need to leave this plumbing issue to the experts. Local plumbers give assistance such as water heater installation service or repair at an affordable price. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Water Heater Repair services are very necessary to keep your home safe and healthy.
    Water heaters houston

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother is going to be getting another water heater installed this week. They've been waiting way too long for it. He's going to need to take more care with this new one, for sure! Thiago | http://www.dandbscottplumbingservices.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want my kids and my family to be cold during the winter months so I decided fix and repair our heaters.
    Heater Repair

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best Service 1st Heating and Cooling provides furnace, air conditioner, air purifier, humidifier and fireplace Heater Repair in Cambridge, Ontario.Heater Repair

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info.
    water heater service connecticut

    ReplyDelete
  8. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. boiler repair

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing post it was. Get to know many things about Heater Repair. I think everyone should know about this. This will be very useful for your home from my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was really an interesting topic and I kinda agree with what you have mentioned here! Moreno Valley Water Heater Repair

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for an interesting blog. What else may I get that sort of info written in such a perfect approach? I have an undertaking that I am just now operating on, and I have been on the lookout for such info. Water heater repair Carlsbad

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! Water heater Installation Vista

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. cold showers help your metabolism

    ReplyDelete